Yes, that’s right I conquered a fear today. In Crossfit one of my huge weaknesses and biggest fears is the rope. Now please do not judge as that is not fair, we all have our fears and one of mine is falling, especially from the rope so whenever we do rope climbs I just scale the rope and avoid attempting to learn how to climb it. Well today I decided I was going to try and learn how and get over the fear of the silly rope. So today we did Tabata of Rope Climbs, L-Sits, and Battling Ropes and lots of snatch work. For the Rope climbs I hung from the rope to work on the grip and more importantly the foot placement. The longest I held on for 18 seconds and that for me was a HUGE accomplishment. I think I got maybe 7 feet off the ground. That is a lot further then I have ever gotten and I am proud of that. Next time I am going wear shin guards though (even though I am SUPER proud of my first ever rope burns on my shins), however, while shaving my legs they disagreed.
What have you accomplished today or even in the last week? Share no matter how big or how small!
So, I’m sure we are all are getting antsy for all the glorious food we shall consume on Thursday and some of us might be thinking, “I’m petrified of gaining weight, but I want to eat food!” Well here are some great tips that I have given my training clients over the years when the holidays roll around.
1) Drink lots of water! If your family is big into having alcohol, instead of keeping up with everybody, just enjoy a drink at a time and drink at least 1 glass of water in-between. This helps with not only NOT getting wasted, but more importantly, having water will fill your stomach up, thus leading to not over eating at the table.
2) Try to avoid overloading with pre-dinner snacks like crackers, cheese, and dinner rolls. These tend to be empty calories, and fill us up for like 2 seconds and leave us wanting to eat more, which we tend to do, especially with crackers and cheese. If there is a veggie tray go for that instead, it is ok to eat lots of vegetables!
3) Once you are seated for dinner, take small spoonfuls of each food item and from there determine what you might want to have seconds of instead of filling your plate to the brim and eating more than one serving with each plate you fill up. This way, you are controlling yourself a bit more and not overeating.
4) After dinner, give yourself time to let your stomach digest, do not stuff your face with dessert right away. By waiting you are giving yourself the opportunity to see if you really want pie or not (face it most of us do). Time is your friend, and by waiting you also allow yourself to make room for the pie. Mmmmm, pie…..
5) This is a new one and a serious one, leave your phone in a different room…in face turn it off. Thanksgiving is about family and not about what is going on in the social media world. Focus on what is truly important, the people sitting and smiling around you. Your phone and the world can wait. (This should be done everyday….)
Right now my house smells amazing. I made a Paleo/Gluten-Free friendly Rotisserie Chicken! Very simple recipe that I will share with you all!
In a small bowl mix 1/2 Tbsp sea salt, 1tsp paprika, 1tsp onion powder, 1tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp basil. Dry off a whole chicken with paper towel and rub spice mixture all over the chicken and place in a crockpot. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp minced garlic over chicken, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Oh man is it going to be tasty!! Have you guys realized I LOVE my crockpot?! Cuz I do! 🙂
I also want to share not necessarily an exercise example, but more of a helpful idea. You have had a bad day and honestly, the best way to get over the anger you are holding inside is to do something active. Go to the gym and lifts some weights, deadlifts are always a good way, it is very satisfying to lift that barbell off the ground. Or squat, oh boy do I love squats!! Squats make me happy! Or if you are more into the cardio thing, go out for a run, a hike, or whatever it is you runners like to do, go do it!! Well if is cold out, hit up the treadmill, but you get the picture. If you sit and stew it will only make you angrier and that is just no good. So go, be happy!
So, word of the day, more like a phrase today is will power. This is a hard thing to accomplish, my will power has been low today, just want to eat chocolate all the time. So tomorrow I am going to work on having better will power, especially with Thanksgiving on Thursday. Do not give in to every little thing this week guys, in the end it will make you feel crummy. Enjoy and enjoy in moderation, no need to give up on your progress you have worked so hard for!