Good morning everyone! It is a beautiful fall day here in Southeastern Wisconsin and the colors are finally starting to become more prominent. I don’t know about you, but fall is by far my favorite season because of how the weather goes from warm to cool and crisp and of course the changing of the colors. There is something so breathtaking about that stark contrast of green to red/yellow/orange and it warms my heart. Seeing the birds start to fly south, you know a change is coming and cool nights are on their way. Football games, bonfires, sweater weather, boot season, and your favorite hoodie…. I just love this time of year!
It is also at this time of year that so many of us find the time (or at least try to) get exercise back into our daily routine again. Everybody has different schedules, the usual 9 to 5, the 2nd shifters, the graveyard shifts, stay at home parents, work from home people, etc. Everybody fills their days up with work or errands or whatever it is, but we know we can some how fit something active in there if that is something that is important to us. I myself am an early morning workout type person. My husband and I get up at 4:25 every morning and go to CrossFit for 5am class. We love it, but we also are used to it and it allows us to have a few hours together as our jobs have us working at different times during the day. Other people prefer late mornings or early afternoons when they are either getting workouts in before work or after, as some people prefer to hit up the gym after work in the evening. All options are awesome and you should find a time that works best for you and your schedule.
Whats so nice about our fitness industry these days are the vast options you have to pick from! Here are some of the top trends in my area:
- CrossFit: http://www.crossfit.com
- Crossfit is about functional training and you always do something different each class. You will learn basic bodyweight exercises, to olympic lifts and also gymnastics and strongman exercises.
- OrangeTheory Fitness: http://brookfield.orangetheoryfitness.com/
- OTF focuses on HIIT training and can be done within an hour, so it’s fast and fun! OTF is growing fast across the country!
- Barre: several locations in the Greater Milwaukee area
- Barre is all about using a ballet bar to work the whole body in small isometric movement to finely tone your muscles. From what I have seen and heard this class is really good and much harder than you might think!
- Bootcamps: Bootcamps are almost everywhere, so just google bootcamp class and you will find them! All bootcamps I find to be different, which is a great thing as it will test your limits and make you sweat!
- Zumba: Zumba is still a great workout for those that like a more normal class based, dance style workout. It is hard to not want to move to the latin music and the moves really get your sweat on. Google for a class near you!
- 9 Rounds: multiple locations around Greater Milwaukee area
- Fast paced circuit training and kickboxing
No matter what you like, there is always something out there. Some people prefer to work with personal trainers, like myself, where they get all the attention of the trainer with no other distractions, while others prefer to do workouts at home with p90x or other apps or videos they purchase online. Then you see those crazy awesome people who run year round or bike or swim (triathletes, marathoners, etc), and you can’t help but think wow, they are nuts, but that is so cool!
So what is my point in all of this? It’s simple, adding exercise into your day will boost your energy levels and lighten your mood. It will instantly make you feel better about your day and yourself if it has been a rough week with limited activity and it will make you feel motivated to workout again the next day. 20 minutes a day is the minimum I recommend for my clients every day to move and get your heart rate up, but I really like at least 30 minutes a day to 1 hour a day 3-4 days a week. I like the latter option because it means that you spent half of your week getting in something that is so good for your body. It means that you got your heart rate up and burned calories, which burns fat, which means weight loss. It means that YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR HEALTH FIRST. It means a healthy body and that means not as much money spent at a doctor’s office.
Even on the worst day when you only have 20 minutes, trust me, just take that 20 mins and use it wisely. Do a few tabatas working different muscle groups or even if the weather is still decent go outside for a run or jog. The boost of confidence even that 20 minutes will give you will be more than worth it.
So, tell me what will you do today?
Have a great one guys!