YAY! Awesome topic today!! However, I can never just narrow it down to a top whatever because I love so many movies. But here we go!!!
- Singing In The Rain: At a young age my dad would always have my sister and I watch Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on Sunday mornings and they always had old musicals playing. One of the very first ones that was on was Singing In The Rain with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. I fell in love with the songs and of course with Gene Kelly, he was a brilliant dancer and actor. The humor and the drama in the movie were flawless. Of course my favorite song is the title song Singing In The Rain where Gene dances and sings in the rain, which if you have done your research was actually milk so they could see the “rain” droplets on camera!
- The Wedding Planner: This movie came out when I was in high school and sure its a classic chick flick, BUT, Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey were just the perfect fit in this movie. It’s simple comedy with the predictable outcome, but it has a few twists in it. I love how it also showed how a woman can reach her dreams if she works hard for it, but that family is always there for you and wants the best for you. Favorite line, “Nancy Pong???? 2c?????” HA! Love this movie!
- It’s A Wonderful Life: Yes, I have two Christmas movies in my top 5 all time favorite movies, but can you blame me?? Just like with Gene Kelly in SITR, I absolutely love Jimmy Stewart in It’s A Wonderful Life. The morals in the movie are still true even today. At times we find ourselves trying to figure out if what we are doing with our lives really makes a difference in other peoples lives and our own that we tend to forget to look outside the box to see that it indeed does. In the end when the whole community comes together to thank and celebrate George Bailey because he has always been there for everyone else and made the community a better place, it makes me wish we had more of that in our society today. It to me is one of the best movies that makes you feel good about humanity again.
- White Christmas: I do not need to really elaborate on why this movie is on my list. Dancing, singing, and slap stick comedy. Bing Crosby is just perfect for Christmas carols in my opinion and was the epitome of a classic gentleman back in the day. There is never a year I do not watch this movie and every time I do I smile the whole way through and cannot help but sing along and dance in my seat.
- Mamma Mia: When this movie first came out I refused to watch it because for whatever reason I thought it was going to be stupid. I remember being upstairs listening to the music with my parents downstairs watching it and laughing and enjoying every second of it. So I decided I will watch it, but said I will most likely not like it. Yeah, I was so wrong. It has become one of my favorite movies of all time and plays of all time along with it being my mom’s favorite. My sister and an old friend of mine also call it one of their favorites. It is high on my list and therefore, at my wedding, I had a dance to Dancing Queen to include my mother, my bridesmaids and all the other women at the reception in a special dance. It was by far one of the highlights of that night. Even if some of the songs are cheesy, how can you not love some Abba in your life?! The fact to that it deals with a mother wanting only the best for her daughter resonates with me (and my sister) as my mom truly has worked hard to be the best mother to us and make sure we did our very best in everything we do too.